I am excited to get outside and get my outdoor spaces ready! Are you?! With the change in weather, if we just dedicate a little time to them, we will be able to enjoy these spaces for the next 4-6 months, depending on what part of the country you live in. Sometimes, just getting started can seem so overwhelming. We have compiled a list of steps you can take to quickly and easily make your outdoor living area your favorite space of your home for the months to come.
- Get your yard, porches and patios cleaned up! Make sure to declutter your surfaces, weed your flower beds, sweep and rinse off your patio, and get all of that winter grime out of your outdoor living areas. Make sure to knock down any webs or nests that may have been built in the off-season to let your tiny friends know that it is your turn to come out and play.
- Get your grill ready for some summer barbecues. Go over the burners with a grill brush and make sure to clean those clogged burner holes with a pipe cleaner or safety pin.
Clean your umbrella and wash down the furniture. Lukewarm water and mild soap are the key to keep your outdoor area looking clean without damaging any materials. If your cushions or umbrella are badly stained or have mildew, scrub with a solution of 1/2 cup of oxygen bleach and 5 gallons of warm water.
- Refresh your outdoor spaces with new decor. If you do not need new patio furniture, a new rug, pillows, or even an umbrella may be the best way to kick the season off and make you want to spend more time outside.
- Plant your annuals. Get those marigolds, zinnias and impatiens in your yard now to bring some color on for spring and summer!
- Mulch the flower beds to give your shrubs nutrients and color.
- In order to prevent the inevitable wear and tear on your outdoor cushions, make sure you find a fabric protector that will help with the longevity of the fabric. Mother nature is so unpredictable, even towards the most durable outdoor fabric.
- The only way to enjoy your outdoor spaces is if you can do so without getting eaten alive by mosquitoes. These creatures love your spaces just as much as you do! While candles and bug repellant sprays can help, we take the extra step of having Terminix come out to spray our yard for mosquitoes. Did you know that after the treatment mosquitos are reduced by 90% in just 2-3 weeks? I am a magnet for bites, so this is a necessary step we take to make sure we can enjoy all of the hard work we put into our outdoor spaces.